These rigorous courses are for devoted students of knowledge looking to advance their studies in a specialized field. The subjects offered are examined in greater detail than in the regular Bachelor’s program. Students may receive a two-year diploma in one of the following sciences: fiqh, tafsir, or hadith. Arabic reading is required.
- SCF101 Advanced Fiqh: Students read Fath al-Mu’in by Zain ad-Din ‘Abd al-‘Aziz al-Mullaibari, with an emphasis on the development of fiqh and its versatility.
- SCI101 Inheritance Law: A short course on inheritance law taught from the classic poem, Bughyat al-Bahith fi al-Mawarith, better known as ar-Rahabiyyah, by Abu Abdullah Muhammad ibn Ali ar-Rahabi.
- QAW101 Legal Precepts: Students read Idāh al-Qawā’id al-Fiqhiyyah by Shaikh Abdullah ibn Sa‘īd al-Lahjī. Students learn the legal precepts necessary for a proper conception and application of fiqh, enabling them to engage the discipline as a dynamic and living tradition.
- QAW201 Protocols of Issuing Fatāwā: Students read the section on the protocols of issuing fatāwā from the introduction of Imam an-Nawawi’s al-Majmū‘ Sharh al-Muhadhdhab and selected portions of al-Ihkām fī Tamyīz al-Fatāwā ‘an al-Ahkām wa Tasarrufāt al-Qādi wa al-Imām, by Imam al-Qarāfi. How to deal with differences of opinion within a madhhab and between madhāhib, adherence to a madhhab and its relationship to issuing fatāwā and arbitration, the scope of juristic authority and its relationship to government, the proper application of concessions, Muslims living under non-Muslim authority, and other issues are explored in detail.
- SCT101 Tafsir: Students read the tafsir of al-Baydawi.
- SCH101 Hadith Sciences: Students read selected portions of Fath al-Mughith by Imam as-Sakhawi.
- SCH201 Hadith Narration & Commentary: Students read selected portions of Fath al-Bari by the Commander of the Believers in Hadith, Ibn Hajar al-‘Asqalani.